Thanks for stopping by!
I’M ADRIANNE RUSSELL
- museum evangelist
- writer, arts advocate
- lifelong learner
- digital doyenne
I’M CURIOUS ABOUT
- The methods in which museums attract, enhance and (often more importantly) distance themselves from audiences
- Community engagement and spacemaking
- Museums as agents of social change
- Racial equity in the museum field, particularly related to black women
I’ve had stints as an AmeriCorps assistant volunteer manager with Habitat for Humanity, and as the Ford Learning Center Education Assistant at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art , where I annually scheduled over 15,000+ students for tours and workshops, 4,000+ studio class students, established and wrote content for the museum’s Twitter account, and served on the interdepartmental Web team that developed several award-winning digital projects.
Most recently, I served as the inaugural Public Programs Coordinator at Kansas State University’s Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art, where I developed 100+ programs and events, established, managed and wrote content for the museum’s first blog, managed social media (establishing the museum’s first Instagram and Twitter accounts) and the museum’s website, strengthened interdepartmental collaborations, and created a residency program for socially engaged artists.
I’ve also facilitated panel discussions, presented, and published on social media in museums, visual arts, arts education, program development, nonprofit governance and leadership, and intergenerational workforces.
Currently, I’m an independent museum consultant and freelance writer. I’ve written and commented on the intersections of race, art, gender, and equity for Temporary Art Review, PBS Parents and Smithsonian Magazine.
I earned a Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree in Nonprofit Leadership Studies and Nonprofit Management and Leadership certification from Rockhurst University, and a Master of Arts Liberal Studies with concentration in museum studies and new media from University of Missouri-Kansas City.
- Kansas City Public Television Community Advisory Board
- GLAM-WIKI U.S. Consortium Advisory Group
- NMC Horizon Report: Museum Edition Advisory Board and Expert Panel
- Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts Ambassadors Executive Board
- Kansas City Fringe Festival Board
I love working with fellow culture nerds! Want to hire me? Click here.