Six Years Strong
Thanks to the fabulous WordPress helper monkeys, I was just reminded that Cabinet of Curiosities is celebrating its sixth anniversary! *cue confetti cannons*
I climbed into the wayback machine to view my first post. Titled “Commence” (because I’m clever like that), it was short and sweet and very indicative of the snark-with-love style that was to come. And check out how much WordPress technology has upgraded. I’d completely forgotten you had to input social media sharing bars via HTML back then! Bonus points if you recognize all those icons!
reflections and whatnot
So I’ve learned some things since starting my museum blogging path.
- Museums are still super fun to discuss! Even when my posting here slows down because I’m hustling like whoa, I’m always talking about museums in micro-bursts on twitter, on podcasts, at conferences, and in books.
- This community is amazing. Through blogging, I’ve connected with people around the world who advocate for issues that I strongly support and understand why I geek out over topics like “new acquisitions”, “strategic plans”, and “metadata.”
- People still routinely crap on bloggers. “Oh, you blog (read with an air of condescension and nose solidly in the air).” If I called this space a ‘zine, a reader, or a mag, reactions would be completely different.
- Or maybe not. People regularly denigrate the accomplishments of black women while breaking their necks to emulate, replicate, and confiscate our labor.
- To that end…y’all I’m aware there’s another blog out here with the same name as mine by someone with the same first name as mine discussing very similar topics. I don’t know why she didn’t Google either. Good looking out though.😀
Six years ago, when I wanted a way to share my thoughts about the museum field as an emerging professional, I had no idea where this venture it would lead but I’ve never regretted making the leap. I’m thankful for this space and everyone who’s posted, read, commented, shared, supported, and cheered me on thus far. I’m excited to see what happens next!